Tooth decay is the damage that results from bacteria making acids in your mouth that eat away at the tooth. It is important also to be aware of the causes of tooth decay, so you can avoid it. Here are some contributors to tooth decay:
- Not brushing and flossing regularly
- Avoiding dental cleanings and check ups
- Consuming high sugar foods, energy drinks, alcohol
- Lack of saliva
Tooth decay does not happen overnight. It can take weeks of build-up before your teeth actually have decayed. There is a process that leads to ultimate decay, and along the way, you are going to experience some warning signs, such as:
- Swelling in the gums around the bad tooth
- Bad breath
- Continual bad taste in your mouth
- White, grey, brown or black spots on your teeth
It is imperative that you follow a twice daily cleaning regimen and consult Berry Hill Dentistry if you think you may be prone to tooth decay. By maintaining great oral hygiene, you can prevent tooth decay.
If you begin experiencing any of these symptoms contact Berry Hill Dentistry and schedule an appointment. The sooner you notice the warning signs of tooth decay, the quicker we can help prevent and treat tooth decay.